abc
QUICK LINKS:

Archbishop Steps Aside, Denies Inappropriately Touching Minor

Updated: 12/17/2013 10:55 PM
Created: 12/17/2013 11:28 AM WDIO.com

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The head of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is stepping aside from public ministry after an allegation that he touched an underage male.

Archbishop John Nienstedt denies the allegations, but is removing himself from ministry pending an investigation.

The archdiocese says the incident allegedly occurred in 2009 after a confirmation ceremony.  Nienstedt is accused of inappropriately touching an underage male on the buttocks during a group photography session.

The archdiocese learned of the allegation last week and instructed the person who brought it forward to go to police.

In a letter posted Tuesday on the archdiocese website, Nienstedt says the allegation is "absolutely and entirely false." He says he hopes the investigation will be thorough and quick so he can return to work.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

 

Flood Warning

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Aitkin; Crow Wing
Expires: 4/24/2014 8:24 PM

Winter Storm Watch

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Northern Cook, Northern Lake; Southern Cook, North Shore; Southern Lake, North Shore
Expires: 4/25/2014 12:00 PM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement