abc
QUICK LINKS:

Cold Weather Hits Bentleyville, Area Businesses Hard

Updated: 12/11/2013 10:14 PM
Created: 12/11/2013 9:42 PM WDIO.com
By: Maarja Anderson

Bentleyville was closed again Wednesday night due to the severe temperatures. This is the third time this season the "Tour of Lights" has closed because of the weather.

But along with Bentleyville, this weather is setting many businesses back.

From a three-day snowstorm to frigid temperatures, it's the kind of weather that keeps Northlanders inside and brings the traffic to area businesses to a near stop.

"I think we've really noticed, especially last week, many of them were hit by the heavy weather," said Kristi Stokes with the Greater Downtown Council.

That weather forced Bentleyville Director, Nathan Bentley, to turn off the lights three times this season.

"We don't want to encourage the public to come out and we don't want our volunteers and our staff to be out there," explained Bentley.

Bentley said in all the years they've had the "Tour of Lights" at Bayfront Festival Park, they've canceled a few times, but never three times this early in the season.

Taking a big hit are donations.

"It makes it very difficult to pay the bills that we've accumulated to put the event on," said Bentley.

Bentleyville is free, but they count on donations to keep the lights on. They also take toy and food donations for families in need. But this string of bad weather has kept the visitors and their gifts away.

"For the past couple years, we had beautiful weather...we had record attendance...but this is turning out to be quite the challenge," Bentley said.

Low attendance at Bentleyville means Canal Park businesses, like Old Chicago, aren't getting that extra traffic.

"The weather has presented a new challenge and with Bentleyville being closed, that limits some of the activity to come down to Canal Park," said manager Tony Salls.

But Christmas is still two weeks away, so Bentley has hopes the crowds will return.

"Maybe we will get 70 degree weather here and change the whole thing around!" he said.

Front Page

  • Superior Murder Trial Delayed after New Evidence Released

    Juan Leonardo Padilla, 40, of Fort Mohave, Ariz., is charged with the shooting death of 46-year-old Terrance Rodney Luukkonen of Duluth last May. Luukkonen was shot outside his workplace at Genesis Attachments in Superior.

  • Homemade Audio Unveiled During Day 2 of Byron Smith Murder Trial

    It was a homemade recording inside Byron Smith's home. The hand held device was next to Smith's chair during the shootings. Smith didn't turn it over to police, or even tell them about it. Investigators found the evidence while searching Smith's home the day after the shootings. Although it was 6 hours long, 14 minutes of the audio clip were played in court Tuesday. 

  • Construction to Begin on Last Major St. Louis County Road Damaged by 2012 Floods

    While the devastating floods of 2012 may be a distant memory for some, there are still some visible scars left - including on one western Duluth road. 57th Avenue West and Highland Street is the last major St. Louis County road still damaged by the flooding.

  • Duluth School Board Approves Plan to Help Sell Central High

    One of Duluth's most scenic vantage points - the Central High School property, has been up for sale for most of four years, but still sits empty. On Tuesday night, school and city leaders took a step to do something about that: a formal working arrangement has been made.

  • Minn. Clergy Members, Doctors Voice Support for Medical Marijuana Legalization

    Medical marijuana is a hotly-debated issue this session, and on Tuesday more than 100 doctors and clergy members headed to the Minnesota State Capitol to show their support for its legalization. The group includes representatives from the Minnesota Nurses Association, Minnesota AIDS Project, AFL-CIO, and the United Food and Commercial Workers union. 

 
Advertisement