Updated: 12/09/2013 10:10 PM
Created: 12/09/2013 11:40 AM WDIO.com
DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - A lawsuit filed on behalf of a man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in the Diocese of Duluth in the 1970s is asking the diocese to release its list of 17 priests accused of molesting minors.
The lawsuit was filed Monday in St. Louis County District Court.
It alleges the diocese was negligent because it failed to protect children from a priest who had been previously accused of molesting boys. It says the diocese gave parents no warning that the priest was a risk.
In 2004, the diocese compiled a list of 17 priests who had been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors. Attorneys for abuse victims want that list to be public.
According to Mike Finnegan, the attorney for the alleged victim known as Doe 28, "every day, every hour that passes that these names are kept quiet and the Bishop keeps them quiet, puts kids at risk."
In a statement, Father James Bissonette Vicar General with the Diocese of Duluth said "while we, like other Minnesota dioceses, have generally been reluctant to disclose the names of diocesan clergy... we have done so only because the list is an imperfect means for identifying those credibly accused. We continue to seek a better way to let those credibly accused of such transgressions be named without harming those who may have been wrongly accused."
Father Bissonette also said that "there are no priests with known accusations of sexual abuse of children in active ministry in the Duluth Diocese."
According to the complaint, the diocese has 20 days to respond to the lawsuit.
(Copyright 2013 WDIO-TV, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
Scannell Testifies in His Own Criminal Sexual Misconduct Trial
Cook County Attorney Tim Scannell took the witness stand today for what was an emotional testimony from the man charged with two accounts of 4th degree criminal sexual misconduct for a relationship he allegedly had with a 17-year old girl in August 2012.
Bucks-Only Hunt This Fall in Most of NE Minn.
Deer hunters in most of northeastern Minnesota will only be allowed to harvest bucks this fall as the Department of Natural Resources tries to rebuild deer numbers. The bucks-only harvest will take place in 14 permit areas covering Lake, Cook, and much of St. Louis counties.
Wisconsin to Stop Enforcing Birth Control Law
Gov. Scott Walker's administration will no longer enforce the state's contraception coverage law for employers with religious objections following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month.
Hibbing's New 'Good to Grow' Campaign Promotes Economic Development
As business development tops the $50 million dollar mark in 2014, the city and chamber decided to share their good news in a campaign.
Horse Therapy in Grand Rapids Helps Veterans and Struggling Adults, Kids
Whoever said a dog is man's best friend, never had a horse. At five miles per hour, Montana and a group of horseback riders are making their way to the North Star Stampede Rodeo. They're camping along the way and helping people as well.