Updated: 10/17/2013 9:12 AM
Created: 10/16/2013 10:45 AM WDIO.com
A Virginia fire department ambulance rushed to Minntac on Wednesday morning on a report of a possible electrocution.
A captain who responded said that the man was in an area where there are large transmission lines.
The captain said the Minntac fire department had rendered first aid before they arrived.
St. Louis County released his name as Jon Malek. He's held leadership positions with the Minntac union for years.
Malek was transported to a different part of the mine so LifeLink III could come and pick him up.
As of Wednesday afternoon, he was listed in fair condition at Essentia Health-St. Mary's Medical Center.
Power had gone out at the plant.
Minntac is owned by U.S. Steel, and is the largest plant on the Iron Range. U.S. Steel said they had suspended operations, but re-started Wednesday evening.
911 Service Outage in St. Louis Co.
St. Louis County says AT&T Cellular Service is experiencing problems with cell phones being able to dial into 911 in St. Louis County. If you need assistance and are unable to get through, please dial 218-727-8770 in the Duluth Area and 218-749-6010 north of Duluth to reach the 911 Center.
Poll: Support for PolyMet Mine Has Declined
A new poll shows support for a proposed copper and nickel mine in northeastern Minnesota has declined. The poll for the Star Tribune shows 40 percent of Minnesotans surveyed approve of PolyMet's plans.
Duluth Man Charged With Second-Degree Murder After Allegedly Killing His Mother
The man who allegedly admitted to killing his 71-year old mother with a knife Tuesday was formally charged with second-degree murder Thursday and will undergo a judge-ordered psychological review before his case goes any further.
One Suspect Arrested, One at Large in Last Month's Central Hillside Shooting
Duluth Police have arrested one of two suspects they believe were involved with an August 19 shooting on the Central Hillside.
Early Morning Fire Damages Superior Home
The Superior Fire Department was on the scene of a structure fire that damaged a two-story home for about two hours early Thursday morning.