UMD is Hosting 'Farm to Fork' Events
Posted at: 09/17/2013 8:01 AM
| Updated at: 09/17/2013 8:34 AM
UMD is inviting the community to experience the bounty of it's farm from September 17th-19th in celebration of Food Day, traditionally on October 24th, a nationwide movement for healthy, affordable and sustainable food.
Events run Tuesday through Thursday, and are focused on experiencing UMD's 10-acre organic farm and enjoying it's fruits and vegetables.
A series of events is planned.
- Tuesday the 17th at the UMD Food Court, there will be a Fresh & Healthy Cooking Demo with food from the UMD farm from 12:00 - 12:45 PM.
- Wednesday the 18th at the Kirby Bus Hub, they will host Market Day in the Plaza, where local farmers will sell their produce from noon to 4:30 PM.
- On Thursday the 19th, there will be farm tours leaving from the Bus Hub. Please arrive ten minutes early, tours leave at noon and 1:00 PM, tours are one hour in length.
- You can work the fields, and cook your own dinner on the 19th. From 12:00 - 5:00 PM. Register online for this one, it will take place at the UMD Farm and at the Dining Center.
- There will be a Farm Talk from 2:00 - 3:00 PM at the Plaza Food Court on Thursday. You will learn how food is grown at the farm, and how UMD Dining Services is using the food in their operations.
- And dinner at the Dining Center on Thursday at 5:00 will feature a local menu item!
You can find more information online.