Updated: 05/12/2014 3:12 PM
Created: 05/14/2013 5:48 PM WDIO.com
By: Jon Ellis & Maarja Anderson
TOWN OF GORDON, Wis. (AP) - Crews battling a wildfire in northwestern Wisconsin have contained the blaze. They have also reduced the estimated size of the burn area from more than 9,000 acres to 8,131 acres.
Department of Natural Resources spokesman Robert Manwell said Thursday the fire in Douglas and Bayfield counties is 100 percent contained. Manwell says fire crews will be handling small brush fires and reworking the lines that contain the wildfire.
Authorities opened all roads in the area overnight and some residents headed back to their homes. The fire, which began Tuesday, destroyed 17 homes and 30 other structures. The DNR says no one has been hurt in the largest forest fire to hit northern Wisconsin in 33 years.
Gov. Scott Walker has declared a state of emergency in Douglas and Bayfield counties, which makes the Wisconsin National Guard available for recovery efforts.
Walker is touring the area Thursday afternoon.
The last twenty-four hours brought calm for firefighters, but grief to residents who were sorting out the damage. A wildfire Tuesday forced evacuations in parts of southern Douglas County and western Bayfield County.
According to the InciWeb Incident Information System, Wednesday afternoon the fire was almost out, with containment at 90 percent and 9,026 acres burned.
Kevin Harter, a DNR public affairs officer, said 47 structures were lost, including 17 homes, but that firefighters were able to save 77 other buildings. The fire began to slow down around 10 p.m. Tuesday. He attributed the slow down to shifting winds and the blaze moving from pine to oak trees.
No injuries have been reported.
Wisconsin DNR officials told Eyewitness News the fire started Tuesday afternoon in the Town of Gordon and has been dubbed the Germann Road Fire.
"This is our worst-case scenario fire in this area that we have planned for," said Keith Kesler, the director of Douglas County emergency management, in an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio.
A mandatory evacuation was ordered for Barnes Township west of County Highway A and north of County Highway N. Earlier, some residents were evacuated in the Rock Lake, Beauregard Lake, Loon Lake, Murray Lake, and Sandy Lake areas, as well as Potawatomi Estates.
An evacuation center had been set up at Drummond High School. The center had originally been set up in Barnes, but Kesler said it had to be moved due to heavy smoke in Barnes. Kesler urged gawkers to stay away from the area.
Smoke plumes from the fire were so high they could be easily seen forty miles away in Duluth.
The Minnesota Interagency Fire Center sent an air attack platform and personnel to help with the fire. Harter said Wednesday morning that the National Guard is sending in two Blackhawk helicopters to help with the effort. Also, two tanker planes from Ontario will provide assistance.
Woman Shot Outside Midway Twp. Church after Allegedly Threatening Officers
The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office says a 48-year-old Cloquet woman was shot after threatening law enforcement officers with a firearm outside a Midway Township church. The woman is in critical condition at a Duluth hospital.
Authorities Search for Missing Person Last Seen near Beaver Bay
Authorities are asking for the publics help in locating a missing White Bear Lake man. Joshua Papenheim, was last seen in Beaver Bay on Wednesday. He is driving a silver 2013 Toyota Prius. If you have any information please contact law enforcement.
Duluth Boy Dies While Awaiting Heart Transplant
A Duluth boy has died several days shy of his third birthday while awaiting a heart transplant. Colten Robertson was sickened by a virus more than a month ago and could not recover.
Minnesota Power Considers Options after Rate Hike Rejected
Minnesota Power is considering its next steps after the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission rejected its rate shift proposal.
Fruehauf Joins Blank In 1st Contested D.A. Race in 25 Years
Dan Blank announced his intentions of once again running for the position of Douglas County District Attorney, a position he has held since 1991. On Thursday, Mark Fruehauf through his hat into the ring, announcing to over 50 friends and colleagues.