Road Construction Hits I-35

Posted at: 04/29/2013 6:03 PM | Updated at: 04/29/2013 6:17 PM
By: Travis Dill
tdill@wdio.com

Some of the first road construction started Monday on I-35 in Proctor. Officials say it will slow down traffic in and out of Duluth with lane closures until late fall.

Single-lane traffic started Monday in Proctor along I-35. It may be an unwelcome sight to motorists, but a 5-mile stretch of the highway needs an overhaul according to MN/DOT official Beth Petrowske

“Well the surface will of course be much smoother. Right now it's reached the end of its life cycle, and as people know it's in pretty rough condition,” Petrowske said.

Petrowske said the new roadway will last 20 years, but motorists will have to bear with single lane traffic all summer. The construction will hamper driving between Esko and Proctor.

Petrowske said there are fewer miles of single-lane traffic this year so it should not cause quite as much frustration as last year.

“I think it'll be a lot better than last summer, but motorist still need to be aware that they may have to allow a little extra time expecially on weekends,” Petrowske said.

She said small sections of single-lane will last for two weeks as cross-over lanes are built. Then, by mid-May traffic will be head-to-head until the project is finished in the fall.

The few months of inconvenience will have a payoff. Officials said there will be three years of smooth driving before the next construction project is scheduled for I-35.

Officials said 24,000 vehicles drive through that section of I-35. Motorists can call 511 or click here to get the latest traffic information.

Print Story | Email

Search WDIO: