Fire Marshal: Power Strip Failure Started Downtown Hibbing Blaze
Posted at: 01/29/2013 1:26 PM
| Updated at: 01/29/2013 1:31 PM
By: Alan Hoglund
Hibbing authorities have completed the investigation into a downtown business and apartment fire. They determined that blaze was caused by the failure of a power strip.
The fire broke out around 10 a.m. on Thursday, January 24, in an apartment above the Sportsman's Bar and Café at 513 East Howard Street.
Hibbing Fire Marshal Bryan Fagerstrom tells Eyewitness News "the cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical component failure. The component that failed was a multi-plug power strip that was feeding another multi-plug power strip. We call this piggy-backing power strips, and is a known fire danger. The fire is ruled as accidental."
Fagerstrom said "the Hibbing Fire department would like to remind everyone of the dangers of overloading electrical systems in your home or apartment."
He also stressed the importance of having working smoke detectors, as the particular apartment where the fire started did not.
Some of the more than half-dozen people displaced have been able to move back into their homes as of Tuesday.
Sportsman's was able to reopen on Sunday.