Moving 53: Scoping Document Done
Posted at: 09/17/2012 2:20 PM
| Updated at: 09/17/2012 6:36 PM
The Minnesota Department of Transportation has prepared a Scoping Decision Document for the re-alignment of US 53 Virginia to Eveleth.
United Taconite has informed the state they plan on mining that area. The deadline to move the roadway is 2017.
The SDD is used before preparation of an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to reduce the scope and bulk of the EIS.
In particular, it's narrowed down 10 alternate routes to just two. One is through the current pit at United Taconite. That is the most popular, politically.
The other is around the eastern edge of Virginia.
There are pros and cons to both alternate routes, which will be fully vetted now.
Work has already begun on the EIS, which will go over a variety of different impacts of the re-alignment.
Project manager Roberta Dwyer said, "We will be having public meetings and speaking with more environmental agencies and other partners in the project, moving forward."
The SDD is available for review online at: www.dot.state.mn.us/d1/projects/hwy53relocation/
Copies of the SDD are also available during regular business hours at the following locations:
· Minnesota Department of Transportation - District One Duluth Office, 1123 Mesaba Avenue, Duluth, MN 55811
· Minnesota Department of Transportation – District One Virginia Office, 101 N. Hoover Road, Virginia, MN 55792
· Minneapolis Public Library, 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401
· Virginia Public Library, 215 South 5th Avenue, Virginia, MN 55792
· Eveleth Public Library, 614 Pierce Street, Eveleth, MN 55734 · Gilbert Public Library, 17 North Broadway Avenue, Gilbert, MN 55741
· Mountain Iron Public Library, 5742 Mountain Avenue, Mountain Iron, MN 55768