abc
QUICK LINKS:

89 Killed in Suicide Blast in Afghanistan

Updated: 07/15/2014 12:25 PM
Created: 07/15/2014 10:32 AM WDIO.com
By: RAHIM FAIEZ, Associated Press

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) - There's been no claim of responsibility for today's deadly suicide bomb attack near a busy market and a mosque in eastern Afghanistan.

The attack killed 89 people and wounded dozens of others.

The Taliban issued a statement denying involvement, saying they "strongly condemn attacks on local people."

A Defense Ministry spokesman says the bomber detonated his vehicle as he drove by the crowded market near the border with Pakistan.  A local official says many victims were left buried under rubble after the attack.

The attack underscored Afghanistan's instability as foreign troops prepare to leave by the end of the year, and as feuding politicians in Kabul work to form a new government.

It was the first major attack since a weekend deal between the two Afghan presidential contenders that will allow an audit of last month's presidential runoff vote.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Afghan doctors assist civilians who were wounded when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives-packed vehicle near a crowded market and a mosque, in the main hospital in Sharan, capital of Paktika province, Afghanistan, Tuesday.
AP Photo

Front Page

  • 6 from Minnesota Charged with Trying to Join Islamic State

    Authorities in Minnesota have charged six men they say attempted to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group. A criminal complaint unsealed Monday charges the men with conspiring to provide and attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

  • Former Death Row Inmate Shares Experiences During UMD Panel

    Nathson Fields, a Illinois man who spent a dozen years on death row, shared his story as part of a Death Penalty panel discussion at the University of Minnesota-Duluth Monday. 

  • Professional Team to Assist Proctor in Future Plan

    The city of Proctor will celebrate a big anniversary later this year, but rather than looking back on it's 120 years, the community is looking to the future with the help of a professional team...

  • Duluth Police Urge Caution as 'Nerf Wars' Heat Up

    A popular childhood toy is popping up again around local high schools, and it's causing quite the stir. The ever-growing "Nerf War" is taking the Northland by storm, and Duluth Police are noticing.

  • Tyler Joseph Bizal, 21, faces a second-degree assault charge after a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last Thursday. Assault Charge Filed in Duluth Stabbing

    Prosecutors have filed an assault charge against the suspect in a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last week. A criminal complaint alleges that 21-year-old Tyler Joseph Bizal stabbed 45-year-old Deland Christopher Johnson multiple times in the torso.

 
Advertisement