abc
QUICK LINKS:

Mille Lacs Night Fishing Ban to be Lifted

Updated: 07/14/2014 4:17 PM
Created: 07/14/2014 4:16 PM WDIO.com

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources says it will lift the ban on night fishing on Mille Lacs Lake next Monday.

DNR Deputy Commissioner Dave Schad says so few anglers have fished the big lake that the 42,900-pound harvest quota imposed this year on sport anglers isn't likely to be reached.

The ban was imposed just after the May walleye and northern pike opener. The DNR said the night ban was needed so the walleye harvest quota on Mille Lacs would not be exceeded.

But the Star Tribune reports resort owners contend the lake's tight harvest slot limit of two walleyes between 18 and 20 inches has kept anglers away. Those who have fished Mille Lacs have found walleye action slow, due to what the DNR says are plentiful perch and other forage fish in the lake.

___

Information from: Star Tribune

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

  • Vikings Place Adrian Peterson on Exempt List

    The move that will require Peterson to stay away from the team while he addresses child abuse charges.

  • Adrian Peterson (archive photo) Statement From Vikings Ownership Regarding Adrian Peterson

    Peterson will be placed on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that he remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved.

  • Police: Duluth Man Admitted to Killing Mother

    A 37-year-old man called police early Tuesday morning and told dispatchers to send officers to a Lincoln Park residence.  The man allegedly met officers at the door and told them they should arrest him because he just killed his mother.

  • Pine Co. Sheriff's Office Reports Children Missing

    The Pine County Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's assistance in locating a man and two children who have not been seen since last week.  Authorities say 44-year-old Peter John Kunze and his two juvenile children failed to appear in court for a custody hearing on Friday and they are concerned for the children's welfare.

  • Matthew R. Reder and Jordyn A. Mazanec Runaway Teen Sought in Ironwood

    Jordyn A. Mazanec, 16, was last seen Monday in Ironwood after having a verbal disagreement during a phone call.  Mazanec's vehicle and cell phone were located near the Mt. Zion ski hill in Ironwood.

 

Freeze Warning

MI AREAS AFFECTED: Baraga; Dickinson; Gogebic; Iron; Ontonagon; Southern Houghton
Expires: 9/18/2014 10:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement