abc
QUICK LINKS:

Minnesota Investigating 13 cases of E. coli

Updated: 07/14/2014 3:22 PM
Created: 07/14/2014 3:12 PM WDIO.com

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota health officials are investigating an outbreak of E. coli infection, with some of the cases traced to eating at Applebee's restaurants, the state Department of Health said Monday. Thirteen cases of the foodborne illness have been reported, the health department said, with seven people who reported eating at Applebee's restaurants - in Woodbury, Roseville, Blaine, Monticello and Duluth - between June 24 and 27. But health officials say there are multiple cases with no apparent connection to the restaurant.

Four of the 13 people who became ill were hospitalized, and all have recovered or are recovering, the department said.

Applebee's is cooperating with the investigation and has voluntarily temporarily removed its Oriental chicken salad from menus at all of its Minnesota restaurants, the department said. The cases involve five of the chain's restaurants, Applebee's said.

Since six of the cases have no connection to Applebee's, the company said in a statement that the illnesses likely are the result of a "vendor produce issue." None of the items are exclusive to Applebee's, the Kansas City, Missouri-based restaurant chain said. It also temporarily removed other ingredients including green cabbage and shredded carrots from its Minnesota menus.

Symptoms of E. coli infection include stomach cramps and diarrhea, the Health Department said. People usually become ill two to five days after exposure, but the time period can range from one to at least eight days. Most people recover in five to 10 days, but complications are common among those with weaker immune systems, including young children and the elderly. Applebee's has 58 restaurants in Minnesota, all owned and operated by independent franchisees. Menus at Applebee's restaurants outside of Minnesota are not being changed, the company said.

___ Any Applebee's customers who believe they may have gotten a foodborne illness are asked to call the Minnesota Department of Health hotline at 1-877-366-3455.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.

AP Photo/Paul Sakuma

Front Page

  • Charge Against Woman in Arrest Video Dismissed

    A judge has dismissed a charge against a woman seen in a video of a controversial Superior arrest.  At a hearing Friday, Judge Kelly Thimm approved a motion to dismiss a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge against Natasha Lancour.

  • Justin's 2014-2015 Winter Prediction

    Winter is right around the corner and the question on everybody's mind is will we have a winter like last year.  With record stretches of cold and record snowfall last year is one we one like to forget. Chief meteorologist Justin Liles lets us know what we can expect this year

  • Woman in Douglas Co. Shootout was found Unresponsive in House Fire Day Before

    A 22-year-old Lake Nebagamon woman was hospitalized on Wednesday evening after an armed standoff with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. On Tuesday, authorities say that same woman was found by her neighbors unresponsive and not breathing after they saw flames coming from a downtown Lake Nebagamon home. 

  • Funding for Military Funeral Personnel Restored

    On Thursday, Rep. Rick Nolan received a letter from the Secretary of the Army that funding for the playing of "Taps," a rifle salute, and delivering a folded American flag will be restored.

  • Preparing for Ebola: Health System Working Together

    People who work in the Northland's health system are communicating on a regular basis, to prepare for Ebola, even though it's unlikely to appear here.

 
Advertisement