Updated: 06/18/2014 11:11 PM
Created: 06/18/2014 11:09 PM WDIO.com
By: Tom Hauser
It’s been nearly two years since a federal judge ordered Minnesota to fix its sex offender program, to allow for some offenders to be released. However, not much has changed and it's an issue in the campaign for Minnesota Governor.
Fifty-eight-year old Thomas Duvall is "exhibit a" in the vexing problem of what to do with the state's worst sex offenders. He's one of about 700 confined at treatment facilities for sex offenders who are in civil commitment after release from prison.
Duvall's been recommended for release, despite admitting to at least 60 sexual assaults; including some involving teenage girls.
Attorney General Lori Swanson wants him to remain locked up and now accuses Duvall of destroying journals he's kept in which he describes violent sexual fantasies.
Republican candidate for governor Kurt Zellers blames the Dayton administration for fumbling the issue.
He says Democrats control the Governor's office, House and Senate; and failed to address the issue.
Dayton declined to comment on camera in time for our deadline, but as he walked into a meeting his press secretary handed out a written statement about Zeller's criticism. He accuses Zellers of "hyper-political posturing.”
The governor goes on to say Zellers did nothing to resolve this situation as a member of the house. And says he "stood silent" while attempts were made to fix it.
In 2012, a federal judge told the legislature to fix the sex offender program, because it's largely become a life sentence after prison release. But no lawmakers want to vote for a bill that looks like they want to release sex offenders.
In his statement, Dayton notes "Duvall is not a prisoner, he is civilly-committed." He also points out the decision to destroy his own personal property is between him and his lawyer. Dayton says it's legal under current law.
6 from Minnesota Charged with Trying to Join Islamic State
Authorities in Minnesota have charged six men they say attempted to travel to Syria to join the Islamic State group. A criminal complaint unsealed Monday charges the men with conspiring to provide and attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.
Former Death Row Inmate Shares Experiences During UMD Panel
Nathson Fields, a Illinois man who spent a dozen years on death row, shared his story as part of a Death Penalty panel discussion at the University of Minnesota-Duluth Monday.
Professional Team to Assist Proctor in Future Plan
The city of Proctor will celebrate a big anniversary later this year, but rather than looking back on it's 120 years, the community is looking to the future with the help of a professional team...
Duluth Police Urge Caution as 'Nerf Wars' Heat Up
A popular childhood toy is popping up again around local high schools, and it's causing quite the stir. The ever-growing "Nerf War" is taking the Northland by storm, and Duluth Police are noticing.
Assault Charge Filed in Duluth Stabbing
Prosecutors have filed an assault charge against the suspect in a stabbing in Duluth's Central Hillside neighborhood last week. A criminal complaint alleges that 21-year-old Tyler Joseph Bizal stabbed 45-year-old Deland Christopher Johnson multiple times in the torso.