abc
QUICK LINKS:

Walker Calls for Additional UW Tuition Freeze

Updated: 04/11/2014 5:55 PM
Created: 04/11/2014 5:54 PM WDIO.com

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Gov. Scott Walker is calling for an additional two-year tuition freeze at the University of Wisconsin System.

Walker, who is running for re-election this year, called for the freeze on Friday. He says it's in reaction to the latest projections showing UW has a surplus of more than $1 billion.

The budget Walker signed into law last year had a two-year tuition freeze, which was also motivated by reports of a large surplus.

Walker says in a statement that after years of tuition increases, it is important to give students and their families a break.

Republican legislative leaders did not immediately respond to emails seeking reaction. The UW Board of Regents was meeting Friday and a university spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

  • New Outpatient Surgery Center to Open in Virginia

    Patients in Virginia will now have a new option when it comes to surgery. The Northwoods Surgery Center is offering multiple specialties at their day-surgery facility.

  • Duluth Firefighters Launch Coat Fundraiser

    Firefighters Local 101 will hold several events over the next few months to raise money to buy new jackets for kids in need.  Kids Closet of Duluth will help distribute the coats in November.

  • Early Morning Fire Sparks in Superior Building

    Our crew arrived on the scene of a fire inside Swanstrom Tools in Superior Wednesday morning. An Eyewitness News photographer caught the footage just before 4 a.m. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

  • Gogebic Taconite Delays Formal Request for Mine

    Gogebic Taconite says its application to develop an iron ore mine in northwestern Wisconsin will be pushed back until at least the fall of next year.

  • his March 23, 2008 photo provided by the Hennepin County, Minn. Sheriff's Office shows Douglas McAuthur McCain. Former Minnesota Man Killed in Syria Fighting for ISIS

    A Minnesota high school graduate was killed in Syria over the weekend, according to family members. Douglas McAuthur McCain, a 33-year-old rapper, was among several ISIS militants the Free Syrian Army claimed on Twitter had been killed over the weekend in fighting for the ancient Syrian city of Aleppo. 

 
Advertisement