Updated: 04/11/2014 3:45 PM
Created: 04/11/2014 3:21 PM WDIO.com
It happens every year, the spring melt. Warmer temperatures have melted the snow pack causing flooding on area roads. Crews have temporarily closed three roads due to flooding. An additional 10 roads have warning signs posted by them. Crews want to remind motorists to use caution due to water on the road.
According to St. Louis County Public Works, roads included in the closure are:
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township is closed between Dart Road and Watsula Road. Traffic may divert around this area on County Road 193 and County Road 740.
• County Road 748 (Jones Road) in Great Scott Township is closed between County State Aid Highway 25 and Country Road. Traffic may divert around this area to the north on County Road 457 and to the south on County Road 925.
• County Road 430 (Burghardt Road) in Angora Township is closed a half mile south of State Highway 1. Traffic may divert around this area on South County Road 430 to County Road 467.
Meanwhile, the following roads have water on them, but are considered passable and remain open at this time. Signs are posted at these locations identifying there is water on the roadway. Motorists are urged to use caution.
• CSAH 86 (Hingley Road) in Fine Lakes Township, about 1.5 miles east of State Highway 73.
• CSAH 8 (Floodwood Road) in Arrowhead Township, one mile west of the railroad tracks.
• County Road 200 in Meadowlands Township between Watsula Road and County Road 193.
• CSAH 5 North in Toivola Township near intersection of County Road 817.
• County Road 442 (South Townline Road) in Hibbing between State Highway 73 and Bunker Road.
• County Road 955 (Wolf Road) in Clinton Township from CSAH 101 on the north side to County Road 315 on the south side.
• County Road 464 (Day Lake Road) in Hibbing between County Road 710 and County Road 714.
• Unorganized Township (UT) road 8114 (Brown Rd) east of Angora Township, south of State Hwy 1.
• CSAH 24 in Beatty Township, one quarter mile north of Kennedy Road. • County Road 431 (Vermilion Lake Road) in Owens Township north of CSAH 115.
Public Works crews are monitoring these and other roads throughout the County, however motorists should remember that road conditions and water depth can change rapidly. Anyone who encounters a dangerous road condition is asked to call 9-1-1.
Industrial Fire Causes Severe Damage to Superior Building
Eyewitness News caught the scene of a hefty industrial fire around 11 p.m. Thursday night. The Superior Fire Dept. says the blaze was found inside a large metal building owned by AA Roll Off Service Inc. Damages are estimated at $250,000.
Special Report: Over the Limit, Under Arrest
A DWI... as many as 1 in 7 drivers have one. They also have a record... and the price tag to prove it. What will a DWI cost you?
Peterson Says 'Fresh Start' Might Be Best
Peterson tells the USA Today that he has strong support from coaches and players on the Vikings. But he also spoke about other people within the organization who aren't on his side. He tells the newspaper that it might be best "to get a fresh start somewhere else."
Duluth Airport Opens Enclosed Parking Garage, Skyway
Travelers used to parking outdoors at the Duluth International Airport are in for a change starting Friday morning when a new 4-level parking garage and glass-enclosed connecting skyway opens. Chilly temperatures in the Northland are exactly the kind of weather that has travelers excited...
PolyMet: What We're Working on Now
While the public waits for regulators to finish the environmental review for PolyMet, the company is keeping busy as well.