abc
QUICK LINKS:

Olympians Say Selfies Were Banned at White House

Updated: 04/07/2014 4:13 PM
Created: 04/07/2014 4:05 PM WDIO.com

A handshake? Sure. A selfie? No way.

Some of America's Olympic athletes say they were asked to keep their cellphones in their pockets last week when they visited the White House and met with President Barack Obama.

The request came after the selfie Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz took with the president during his team's visit to the White House. The picture was later used by Samsung, the maker of the phone Ortiz used.

Slopestyle skiing bronze medalist Nick Goepper was among the Olympians visiting Obama. He said he thought about trying to sneak a selfie, but decided against it.

The White House had no immediate comment.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Boston Red Sox designated hitter David
AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta

Front Page

  • FILE - U.S. Steel has announced plans to partially idle Minntac in Mountain Iron effective June 1. US Steel to Partially Idle Minntac, Potentially Affecting 700

    Three weeks after announcing plans to temporarily idle Keewatin Taconite, U.S. Steel has announced plans to temporarily idle a portion of the Minntac plant in Mountain Iron.  The company did not announce exactly how many employees will be affected, but union officials told Eyewitness News they expected about 700 workers to be impacted.

  • As Steelworkers Brace for Hundreds of Layoffs, Politicians Call for Change

    The past month has been tough for miners on the Iron Range. They got more bad news on Tuesday that U.S. Steel announced plans to temporarily idle a portion of the Minntac Plant in Mountain Iron. 

  • A federal judge has dismissed the City of Duluth's attempt to restore an agreement that had given the city millions of dollars in revenue from the Fond-du-Luth Casino annually. Duluth Loses Bid to Restore Casino Agreement

    A federal court has dismissed the City of Duluth's attempt to reinstate an agreement that had provided the city with millions of dollars annually from the Fond-du-Luth Casino.  In an opinion Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly upheld a notice of violation issued in 2011, saying the National Indian Gaming Commission was within its rights to issue the violation.

  • Duluth Superintendent Finalist for Twin Cities Job

    After more than three years on the job, a Twin Cities school district announced Duluth Superintendent Bill Gronseth is one of six finalists for their top job. 

  • Is It Enough? Parent, Teachers Talk Music in Duluth Schools

    Duluth East High School Senior Dan Richards has had a lot of success as a cellist this year, including getting into Berklee College of Music and making it to the final round of a statewide contest. His father, however, has expressed concerns that students today don't have the same resources that his son did.

 
Advertisement