Created: 02/10/2014 10:57 AM WDIO.com
DETROIT (AP) - Belle Isle in Detroit is officially becoming Michigan's newest state park.
The state is taking over the city-owned park under a 30-year lease deal with Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr. The move goes into effect Monday, and the DNR says in a statement that current park rules and hours remain in effect for the Detroit River island park.
The state, working with partner organizations, says it plans to continue to make improvements to the 985-acre island park.
The lease agreement is expected to save the bankrupt city between $4 million and $6 million a year.
Detroit retains ownership of Belle Isle, which was laid out by landscape architect Frederic Law Olmsted, designer of New York's Central Park.
There will be a new $11-per-car annual fee to visit.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Dayton, Johnson Show Fire in Final Governor Debate
Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton and Republican nominee Jeff Johnson ended their series of debates Friday much like they began, with the incumbent hailing big-picture successes and his rival saying too many things went awry over the past four years.
Fire Danger Expected to Increase in Minnesota
Dry conditions are expected to increase the danger of wildfires in Minnesota this weekend.
Reinert 'Strongly Considering' Running for Duluth Mayor
When Duluth Mayor Don Ness announced earlier this month that he would not seek re-election, many people were surprised. On Friday, Sen. Roger Reinert said he is strongly considering entering the race.
Three Attempted Murder Charges Filed Against Woman in Douglas Co. Shootout
Twenty two-year old Jessica Gehl of Lake Nebagamon was charged with three counts of attempted first degree intentional murder Friday after she allegedly pulled a gun on her mother and then opened fire on authorities Wednesday. Gehl was also charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety.
Charge Against Woman in Arrest Video Dismissed
A judge has dismissed a charge against a woman seen in a video of a controversial Superior arrest. At a hearing Friday, Judge Kelly Thimm approved a motion to dismiss a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge against Natasha Lancour.