abc
QUICK LINKS:

Mille Lacs Walleye Quota Cut Sharply

Updated: 02/01/2014 12:51 PM
Created: 01/31/2014 2:35 PM WDIO.com

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Fisheries officials say walleye anglers on Mille Lacs Lake will likely see regulations similar to last year despite its struggling walleye population, but the total pounds of walleyes allowed for harvest this year will be the lowest ever.  

The Department of Natural Resources says the safe harvest level has been set at 60,000 pounds for the upcoming season. The Star Tribune reports that last year's safe harvest was 250,00 pounds. Out of the 60,000 allowed this year, 42,900 pounds are allocated to sport anglers while 17,100 pounds are for eight Chippewa bands with treaty rights.

DNR Fisheries Chief Don Pereira says existing and potential new restrictions will provide the needed protection and won't impair the lake's ability to produce future generations of walleye.

Mille Lacs hasn't produced a strong year class of walleye since 2008 despite adequate spawning stock and excellent fingerling production.

Pereira says size and bag limits won't be finalized until after the DNR confers with stakeholders in February.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

  • Authorities Investigating Possible Homicide on the Fond Du Lac Reservation

    Authorities are investigating the death of a 31-year-old woman in Stoney Brook Township on the Fond Du Lac Reservation. The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office said Monday that they believe the death was an act of violence. One suspect has been taken into custody and authorities are asking for the public's help locating a woman who may have more information.

  • Duluth Man Pleads Guilty to Suffocation Death of 13-month-old Daughter

    A 30-year-old Duluth man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the suffocation death of his 13-month old daughter. The St. Louis County Attorney's office announced Christopher Dennis Peterson's plea in State District Court on Monday. 

  • No Criminal Charges for Superior Officer in Controversial Arrest

    Superior Police Chief Charles F. LaGesse announced Monday morning the Bayfield County District Attorney has issued his decision about the actions of Officer George Gothner during the arrest of Natasha Lancour.

  • Crash Survivor Shares Story To Fight Distracted Driving

    An Itasca County woman took the stage at Proctor High School Monday to share her story and raise awareness about the dangers of distracted driving. Paige Anderson was in an accident five years ago when the car she was in was hit by a bus. She's paralyzed from the stomach down and in a wheelchair.

  • Proctor Police Searching for Suspect in Armed Robbery

    The Proctor Police Department is asking for the public's help in their search for the suspect from an armed robbery Sunday night. They say the suspect robbed the Proctor Milk House at gunpoint at about 10:15 p.m.

 
Advertisement