abc
QUICK LINKS:

Cuts Lead to Closures of Senior Meal Programs

Created: 12/27/2013 9:33 AM WDIO.com

LEWISTON, Minn. (AP) - Some three dozen of Minnesota's 502 congregate dining facilities for seniors are closing next week, the victim of federal budget cuts.

Minnesota Public Radio reports the sites aren't bringing in enough people to stay open. Most of those closing are in Greater Minnesota.

Jean Wood, executive director of the Minnesota Board on Aging, says providers have made alternative arrangements for seniors, including converting many to home-delivered meals. But she says closing a site is always hard and it takes time for folks to adjust.

Minnesota got $6.9 million last under the Older Americans Act, which funds senior programs including congregate and home-delivered meals, and other programs. That money was cut by nearly $500,000, about 7 percent, forcing regional agencies that distribute the money to close sites with declining populations.

Information from: Minnesota Public Radio News, http://www.mprnews.org

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

  • New Outpatient Surgery Center to Open in Virginia

    Patients in Virginia will now have a new option when it comes to surgery. The Northwoods Surgery Center is offering multiple specialties at their day-surgery facility.

  • Duluth Firefighters Launch Coat Fundraiser

    Firefighters Local 101 will hold several events over the next few months to raise money to buy new jackets for kids in need.  Kids Closet of Duluth will help distribute the coats in November.

  • Early Morning Fire Sparks in Superior Building

    Our crew arrived on the scene of a fire inside Swanstrom Tools in Superior Wednesday morning. An Eyewitness News photographer caught the footage just before 4 a.m. Damage is estimated at $100,000.

  • Gogebic Taconite Delays Formal Request for Mine

    Gogebic Taconite says its application to develop an iron ore mine in northwestern Wisconsin will be pushed back until at least the fall of next year.

  • his March 23, 2008 photo provided by the Hennepin County, Minn. Sheriff's Office shows Douglas McAuthur McCain. Former Minnesota Man Killed in Syria Fighting for ISIS

    A Minnesota high school graduate was killed in Syria over the weekend, according to family members. Douglas McAuthur McCain, a 33-year-old rapper, was among several ISIS militants the Free Syrian Army claimed on Twitter had been killed over the weekend in fighting for the ancient Syrian city of Aleppo. 

 
Advertisement