abc
QUICK LINKS:

'Kids Still at Risk' Until List of Accused Priests Released

Updated: 12/09/2013 10:10 PM
Created: 12/09/2013 11:40 AM WDIO.com

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) - A lawsuit filed on behalf of a man who claims he was sexually abused by a priest in the Diocese of Duluth in the 1970s is asking the diocese to release its list of 17 priests accused of molesting minors.

The lawsuit was filed Monday in St. Louis County District Court.

It alleges the diocese was negligent because it failed to protect children from a priest who had been previously accused of molesting boys. It says the diocese gave parents no warning that the priest was a risk.

In 2004, the diocese compiled a list of 17 priests who had been credibly accused of sexually abusing minors. Attorneys for abuse victims want that list to be public.

According to Mike Finnegan, the attorney for the alleged victim known as Doe 28, "every day, every hour that passes that these names are kept quiet and the Bishop keeps them quiet, puts kids at risk."

In a statement, Father James Bissonette Vicar General with the Diocese of Duluth said "while we, like other Minnesota dioceses, have generally been reluctant to disclose the names of diocesan clergy... we have done so only because the list is an imperfect means for identifying those credibly accused. We continue to seek a better way to let those credibly accused of such transgressions be named without harming those who may have been wrongly accused."

Father Bissonette also said that "there are no priests with known accusations of sexual abuse of children in active ministry in the Duluth Diocese."

According to the complaint, the diocese has 20 days to respond to the lawsuit.

(Copyright 2013 WDIO-TV, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
 

Plaintiffs held a press conference about the lawsuit Monday in Duluth.

Front Page

  • Wisconsin Makes Minnesota Offer on Tax Reciprocity

    The neighboring states have been unable to reach a deal since a 40-year agreement expired in 2009. An agreement would simplify income taxes for the roughly 80,000 who live in one state and work in the other.

  • Minn. DNR Increases Target Wolf Harvest

    The Minnesota DNR is increasing the target harvest for this fall's wolf hunt from 250 to 280. The DNR says the latest population survey estimates that there were 2,423 wolves living in Minnesota this past winter, which is 212 more animals than estimated the previous winter.

  • Update: Teen Killed in Douglas Co. Crash

    The Douglas County Sheriff's Office says a Lake Nebagamon teenager was killed in a two-vehicle crash on Wednesday afternoon.  15-year-old Seth N. Stariah, a passenger in one of the vehicles, was pronounced dead at the scene.

  • Workers at the NOvA hall in Ash River assemble the final block of the far detector in early February 2014, with the nearly completed detector in the background. U of M Reaches Milestone with Ash River Neutrino Detector

    The University of Minnesota is celebrating a milestone in creating an experimental particle detector that it says could eventually yield important information about the beginning of the universe.

  • Missing Employee Found at Soudan Underground Mine State Park

    Authorities have located 76-year-old Adrienne De Vries at the Soudan Underground Mine State Park. De Vries is an employee of the park, and lost her way when walking down a trail. The St. Louis County Sheriff's Department says she was transported to Ely Hospital to get checked as a precautionary.

 

Flood Warning

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Koochiching; St. Louis
Expires: 7/25/2014 4:00 PM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement