abc
QUICK LINKS:

Experts Defend New Heart Attack Prevention Advice

Updated: 11/18/2013 1:36 PM
Created: 11/18/2013 11:47 AM WDIO.com
By: MARILYNN MARCHIONE, AP Chief Medical Writer

DALLAS (AP) - Heart experts who wrote new guidelines for preventing heart attacks and strokes are defending a formula that some doctors say overestimates risk for certain groups.

Doctors who drafted the new advice for the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology say that any flaws in the formula are small and should not delay the implementation of the guidelines, which expand how many people should consider taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs like Lipitor and Zocor or their generic forms.

The guidelines, announced last week, are a sea change in heart care. Instead of having people aim for a specific cholesterol number as has been done for decades, the new advice relies on a formula using factors such as age and high blood pressure to estimate a patient's risk.

Under the new advice, one-third of U.S. adults ages 40 to 75 would meet the threshold to consider taking a statin. Under the current guidelines, statins are recommended for only about 15 percent of this group.

The Heart Association held a news briefing Monday at its annual conference in Dallas after a New York Times story featured criticism by several prominent cardiologists.

Dr. Paul Ridker and Dr. Nancy Cook of Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston describe in an opinion piece in the British journal Lancet how they tried the formula on patients in three large, observational clinical trials and found it was way off for the number of heart attacks and strokes those patients actually had.

"The predicted risk is roughly twice as high as the observed risk," Ridker said.

However, doctors involved in the guidelines said one reason there were so few of those health problems is that the patients in those studies were prescribed statins to lower their risk.  And the groups in the studies Ridker cited were much healthier than Americans in general.

"This tool does an excellent job of ranking people," Dr. David Goff, dean of the Colorado School of Public Health, said of the risk formula his panel developed.

Dr. Sidney C. Smith Jr., a former Heart Association president from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said dozens of heart experts spent nearly five years carefully reviewing top-quality studies to develop the guidelines and the formula and let other major medical groups review it before adopting it.

"We think that we've come up with a good risk instrument" and intend to move forward to implement the guidelines, he said. The formula doesn't prescribe or mandate that someone take a drug, just flag people whose heart risks are high enough that they should consider it.

"You should have that conversation with your physician. This is not computer medicine," Smith said.

Even Ridker calls the guidelines a big improvement and says the risk formula problems should be easy to address. The guidelines are the first that aim to prevent strokes and heart attacks and customize risk assessment for women versus men and blacks versus whites.

High cholesterol leads to hardened arteries that can cause a heart attack or stroke, and heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide.

"This is a huge burden in our society and we have to be able to bend that curve," said Dr. Donald Lloyd-Jones, a Northwestern University cardiologist who helped lead the guideline effort.

Some doctors don't like the guidelines for reasons that have nothing to do with the risk formula.

Dr. Daniel Rader of the University of Pennsylvania said the older guidelines made it easier for doctors and patients to determine risk, by relying on specific cholesterol numbers.

"I do think it was a mistake to move away from targets" for cholesterol, he said.

___

Online:

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Front Page

  • New York Officials: Doctor has Ebola, 1st in City

    A Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned to the city after treating Ebola patients in West Africa has tested positive for the virus, according to preliminary test results, city officials said Thursday. He's the fourth confirmed case in the U.S. and the first in the nation's biggest city.

  • Minn. Officials Walk Through Mock Ebola Scenario

    More than 100 representatives from several Minnesota agencies are going through a mock exercise to review the state's preparedness in the event of a case of Ebola.

  • Lydia Marie Barney Woman Charged with Murder after Stabbing in Stoney Brook Township

    There is new development in the murder case on the Fond du Lac Reservation. The husband of the victim has been released, and he is facing no charges. Instead, the woman who police had been searching for, Lydia Marie Barney, has been charged with second degree murder.

  • No Injuries in Early Morning Esko Structure Fire

    Deputies say there were no injuries in an early morning structure fire in Esko Thursday. Crews responded to the 200 block of Nelson Road around 4:30 a.m. Deputies said the cause of the fire was not suspicious.

  • 1 Dead, 1 Arrested in Cass County Crash

    An Aitkin County man is in custody and another person is dead after a two-vehicle head-on collision in Cass County. 

 

Dense Fog Advisory

MN AREAS AFFECTED: Carlton, South St. Louis; Southern Cook, North Shore; Southern Lake, North Shore
Expires: 10/24/2014 10:00 AM

Dense Fog Advisory

WI AREAS AFFECTED: Douglas
Expires: 10/24/2014 10:00 AM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement