Placido Domingo Leaves Hospital after Embolism
Posted at: 07/14/2013 10:55 AM
| Updated at: 07/14/2013 10:56 AM
By: HAROLD HECKLE, Associated Press
MADRID (AP) — Opera singer Placido Domingo is to return to work on Sunday, a day after he left a Madrid hospital where he was recovering from a lung artery blockage, the Spanish capital's opera house said.
The tenor is not going to be singing, the Teatro Real statement said, but was to be present at a rehearsal of the opera "Il Postino" by the late Mexican composer Daniel Catan in which he had been due to sing until his hospitalization this past week.
"Placido Domingo, who is recovering well from a recent pulmonary embolism he suffered recently has told us he is to come this afternoon to attend the dress rehearsal of 'Il Postino' to support all his fellow actors and artists involved in the production," the statement said.
It added that Domingo would also address the media while at the opera house.
On Saturday, Domingo wrote, "Going home" on his Twitter account, attaching a photograph of him opening a car door. Nicholas Marko, personal assistant to Domingo, confirmed to The Associated Press that the singer had left the hospital.
Alvaro Domingo, the tenor's son, has said he expected his father to spend three weeks recuperating in Madrid following his release from hospital, and that the 72-year-old singer wasn't contemplating retirement.
Domingo, who is renowned for the vigorous work schedule he maintains, canceled six dates in Madrid this month where he was to have sung "Il Postino'''s lead role, after being hospitalized Monday. Doctors said a blood clot caused the pulmonary embolism.
Domingo has maintained an active schedule since recovering from colon cancer surgery in 2010.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)