Still Need for More Flood Relief Donations, Campaign Says
Posted at: 03/27/2013 10:58 AM
| Updated at: 03/27/2013 11:06 AM
By: Alan Hoglund
Following widespread destructive flooding in the Northland in June of 2012, Duluth Mayor Don Ness challenged the regional community to give $1 million in a month for relief.
But new numbers still show a much smaller fundraising total so far.
The Flood Homes with Hope Campaign, which is a partner of the United Way of Greater Duluth, said this week that the donations to the Regional Flood Fund total more than $620,000.
The campaign said $472,989 has been disbursed to 249 households across the region as of February 19.
Two hundred homes, in addition to the 125 that will likely never be rebuilt, could be abandoned because of the financial and physical challenges of rebuilding, according to the campaign.
More money is needed, the campaign team said. In a report dated March 25, the team said "we estimate that we need to raise an additional $560,000 to meet the needs of the families still in limbo and to protect the tax base and communities still reeling from last summer's storm."
For more information on the Flood Homes with Hope Campaign, visit their website.