Fire Causes Extensive Damage to Duluth Home
Posted at: 01/20/2013 3:33 PM
| Updated at: 01/20/2013 10:34 PM
A fire at a Lincoln Park home caused extensive damage Sunday morning.
Firefighters were called to 2867 Exeter Street just after 10:30 a.m. after reports of a house fire. Two adults and two children were inside the home when the blaze started, but were able to escape without injuries before firefighters arrived.
The fire was extinguished quickly, but crews were on the scene for about three hours in sub-zero temperatures.
Officials believe the fire was due to an electrical problem. Firefighters estimate the damage to the home at about $40,000 and an additional $10,000 for the contents.
The family inside the home was alerted by smoke detectors. Assistant Chief Jarry Keppers said the fire could have been disastrous if it had happened at night without smoke detectors. Keppers wants this incident to serve as a reminder to check smoke detectors monthly.