Damage from Storm at $360M So Far in Connecticut
Posted at: 11/15/2012 10:03 AM
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - A spokesman for Gov. Dannel P. Malloy says the cost of damage to Connecticut businesses and homes by Superstorm Sandy is $360 million and climbing.
Andrew Doba said Thursday that the bulk of the damage involves private insurance claims. The figure also includes claims to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Earlier this week, FEMA reported that more than 7,270 property owners in the state have applied for assistance, including 6,000 along the shoreline. About $4 million in federal funding has been awarded to residents affected by the storm, mostly for temporary housing costs.
Officials say applications for assistance are growing and there's damage in all eight counties in the state.
Doba says Connecticut suffered more than $1 billion in damage combined from Sandy, Irene last year and an October 2011 storm.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)